Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 4 Post Op......

11:00 am   Today I am going to be very diligent about laying or sitting in a reclined position.  It seems that as long as my chest is at about a forty five degree angle I can keep my pain level at a 5 or 6, which has become the level I am at most of the time.




2:30 pm    This experience has lit a fire in my heart.  I want to raise awareness about proactive care.  It was so frustrating, when I was researching this surgery, to not find more websites that were more than just the clinical info.  More than anything I wanted to read real life stories and see real pictures.  All I seemed to find was informational websites.  That was good, but after reading a few of those it started being the same information over and over again.
               
                   Through my journey, I am going to make things different for women who come after me on their own journey.  Its scary to go into something this big without feeling that there are others out there that have been there and can support you through it.  I want to start a website with message boards and more of a support network than only a informational and formal site.  I just know I want to be very open about my journey in hopes that more women will find the strength to be proactive.  I've heard over and over again that what I did was brave.  Yes, the decision to have the Double Mastectomy was something I knew was a drastic choice, and something a lot of people thought was crazy.  I don't expect every woman with a high risk to make the same choice I made.  I just want to do everything I can to encourage the high risk women to do their research their options so they can make the right decision for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment