Saturday, September 3, 2011

All The Preop is Finished......

Yesterday I met with the general surgeon for my preop appointment.  We went over all the details again and he made sure I didn't have anymore questions or concerns.  He explained that his part of the surgery would be 2 1/2-3 hours and my plastic surgeon's part will take at least another 2 1/2 hours. I asked him the few questions that I still had and that was it.  Then I went upstairs to the APU and did all my preop stuff with the anesthesiologist, admin, nurse, etc.  So that's it, now I just call the night before my surgery and get the official arrival time.

I met with my plastic surgeon the August 23rd.  He is awesome!  He is so patient, and takes the time to answer any question or concern I bring to him.  I had requested that they do the nipple sparing surgery if at all possible.  It is important to me because I feel like it will help me not be so detached from my new breasts. He said that instead of doing the incisions around my nipples, they will do the incision under my breasts in the crease.  This will make the nipple sparing surgery more successful.  If they do the incision around the nipple there would be a risk of some or all of the tissue dying and then I would lose my nipples for sure.  He also said that he would like to try to do the surgery a little differently than we had originally planned.  He was going to put tissue expanders in and then eventually do another surgery to put in the implants.  Instead, he would like to try something that is a newer procedure.  After the mastectomy is done, if the skin flaps are not too "angry" he will put implants in that same day.  That would cut down on one surgery which would be great.

I am so grateful to have such awesome support from my family and friends.  I know that I have so many people who are praying for me and sending up positive thoughts.  I came up with the idea of making an event on Facebook called Gretchen's "Wear Pink" Day.  I invited my friends and family to wear something pink on my surgery day.  The idea behind it is that if my loved ones wear something pink that day, when they see the pink they will remember why they are wearing it and say a prayer or send up positive energy, so I will have all that to draw strength from.  I can't wait to see the pictures of their smiling faces when I am awake enough to sign on.

I want to take this opportunity to thank my husband.  I would not be able to do this without him.  He is so patient and reassuring when I am breaking down.  He sat on the floor with me last night and listened to my semi irrational thoughts.  He was so patient, and he sweetly brought me back to reality and held me tight.  Amazing, that is what he is.  Having him by my side through this is going to be my saving grace.  I love you honey, so so much.

Gretchen


1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome testament and journey Gretchen....God is in control and has put a husband who is keeping true to his marriage vows. May God continue to keep you and your family in the hollow of His hand as you proceed with surgery. Blessings Wendy Bucknor

    p.s. Will be wearing pink also.

    ReplyDelete