Monday, April 4, 2011

A Little About Me

My name is Gretchen.  I am 34 year old Navy Wife and mother of 3.  I have several family members who have had a Breast Cancer diagnosis, two of which were diagnosed in their early 30's.  I have been having mammograms since I was 27 and I of course do my monthly breast exams, but it never feels like enough. This year I pushed to be seen by a Genetic Doctor.  He tested me for the BRCA 1 and 2 genes and I was negative, thank goodness.  This was wonderful news, but for me, I still felt like my risk was too high.  With just my family history my lifetime risk percentage is over 60%.  The average persons lifetime risk is approx 11% so I am still way above average.  The surgery will decrease my chances by 90%, and that sounds wonderful to me.

I discussed my options with the Genetic Doctor, and spent months praying about what the right answer might be.  I have chosen to have a Prophylactic Double Mastectomy with Reconstruction.  I have thought about this option for years.  I have thought and prayed and prayed some more.  My husband is by my side and I have an amazing group of family and friends that i know will be there for not only me, but my husband and children through it all.  I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful support system around me.

This blog is going to be where I can write my story, and share my thoughts.  I have been fortunate enough to have come across a blog of a lady who has recently had this same surgery.  Her blog has been a very valuable resource for me as I go through the steps leading up to my own procedure.  I hope that my story will be able to do the same for someone else someday.

Tomorrow is my second appointment with general surgery. My heart races every time I think about it. I am a little freaked out.  How am I supposed to know if its just nerves, or my gut telling me I shouldn't have the surgery? 


God Bless,
Gretchen

1 comment: